Joanne was born and grew up just south of Cairns and has spent her entire legal career practising in Cairns. Joanne is well-known in the Cairns legal community having recently represented the solicitors of Queensland on the legal industry’s peak membership body, the Queensland Law Society and previously being the President of both the local law association, the Far North Queensland Law Association, and the local legal centre, the Cairns Community Legal Centre. She has also tutored and lectured at the local university, James Cook University.
Joanne has extensive experience in Building and Construction representing many local councils, government- owned corporations, private companies and individuals. Joanne is regularly involved with the construction industry whether it be preparing contracts, advising clients on types of contracts and risks, negotiating issues or disputes on behalf of her clients and representing clients in all manner of dispute resolution including arbitrations, expert determinations, tribunals, adjudications and Court.
Joanne’s skill set makes her particularly adept at managing risk on behalf of clients, whether it be at the commencement of particular projects or during construction. Her experience in disputes gives her a keen
insight into the key risks likely to lead to cost escalation, delays and disputes and options available to minimise their occurrence and effect.
Joanne’s background in complex litigation means she is skilled at working under time pressures and to deadlines. She has a demonstrated ability to manage projects and teams to meet deadlines and achieve
quality outcomes for her clients.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Commercial and Contract Advisory, Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Building and Construction Advisory, Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Bankruptcy and Insolvency, Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Debt Recovery Advisory, Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Local Government Advisory and Governance
- Local Government Prosecutions and Enforcement
- General Government Compliance and Enforcement
Qualifications & Memberships
- Admitted as a Legal Practitioner of the High Court, 2006
- Admitted as a Legal Practitioner of the Supreme Court of Queensland, 2006
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of Queensland, 2003
- Bachelor of Economics, University of Queensland, 2002
- Member, Queensland Law Society
- Member, Far North Queensland Law Association
- Member, Cazalys Board
- Member, FNQHF Board
- Former Councillor, Queensland Law Society, 2010 – 2013
- Former Member, Queensland Law Society Litigation Rules Committee
- Former President, Far North Queensland Law Association
- Former President, Cairns Community Legal Centre