Risk, Dispute Resolution and Litigation
MacDonnells Law’s risk, dispute resolution and litigation team deliver commercial strategies backed by technical expertise. We provide innovative, fearless and pragmatic advice to assist clients to resolve disputes.
We understand the impacts of disputes and litigation on your business. Our dispute resolution team members are key partners with our commercial team to mitigate risks and disputes at the front-end. Whilst our team is focused on achieving early and effective resolutions, our team also provides clients the confidence they need to litigate matters when required and deliver robust solutions for large-scale litigation matters. We cover the full spectrum of risk and dispute resolution, including:
- Successful resolution of Court proceedings instituted by a disgruntled shareholder in a significant time-sensitive shareholder dispute. The proceedings involved in excess of 30,000 documents spanning some 25 years, numerous Court appearances, the briefing and instructing of 3 barristers, the interrogation of financial records and engagement of financial experts.
- Successful resolution of a significant claim made by a large private company against the manufacturer and retailer of equipment. The proceedings involved liability of designers and manufacturers, contractual claims, calculation of damages to be awarded, the retaining of various experts and resisting attempts to redact significant portions of documents.
- Argued successfully for a large Local Government who had entered into an agreement with a private developer and were in a dispute as to whether significant monies were payable to the Local Government by way of infrastructure charges. The Local Government received an order for the payment of significant infrastructure charges.
- Acting for a large private client to obtain judgment against an individual who had acted negligently in the use of the client’s haulage vehicle which caused substantial loss and damage.
- Acting for a client to secure and recover a significant sum of money under the Building Industry Fairness (Security of Payment) Act 2017 (Qld).
- Successful resolution of a Federal Court claim for infringement of our client’s patent, resulting in a significant amount of money being paid to our client.